Friday, November 11, 2011

Better Than Imagined

i had a tempo run planned tonight- to run 1 mile easy, 5 miles at an 8.23 pace and 1 more mile at an easy pace. the first mile worked out, 10.09. the next few miles i really pushed and then my legs felt like rubber for a while and then like i had weights on my ankles for a while. the last mile was within range of easy too. i never looked at my watch i, during the tempo part i just kept trying to push as hard as my body would let me. i can usually tell i am pushing pretty hard by my breathing, especially on flatter areas. so the 5 miles of tempo were at just under a 9.06 pace, i was very surprised. i felt like i could have done better if i had ran easier last night. a few of the tempo miles were very surprising, and i am pretty sure the gps was fairly accurate too. here are the tempo splits:

mile 1= 8.26
mile 2= 9.30
mile 3= 9.41
mile 4= 8.40
mile 5= 9.04

any mile under 9 minutes is very fast for me and i had 2 of those on this run. unfortunately, i had 2 miles well over 9 minutes too. i can remember not long ago struggling to get a mile under 10 minutes. i guess i am getting a little faster, i am sure the cooler weather doesn't hurt either. i wish my distance training was going as good as my speed training (not that my speed is great or anything). i do think i might run a little faster during the day (especially if it was overcast). i don't like running at night, even with a light, i can't see the tops of the hills and i find myself looking around for deer, and the light shaking around as i run can be hypnotizing/nauseating. anyway, it is what it is.

thought of the day: marathon getting close, mileage building up, i have to dig in for the next 10 days and then what happens, happens, and i can't do much about it then. after 10 days, the rest of the training should be pretty easy, the race may be another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment