Monday, December 26, 2011

End of Layoff

i had not ran in over a week due to knee problems, calf soreness, and lack of time due to the holiday schedule. i really wanted to get one longer run in before my next marathon, and knew if i was going to get it in it had to be today. i had been feeling sick over the weekend, but was feeling much better today. i woke up a little later than i wanted to, but i really needed the rest anyway. and it took me so long to get everything together, i haven't ran a long run in some time so all of my stuff was scattered. i did get a new gps watch for Christmas so i was excited to try it out. i wanted to be running by 11 or 11:30am. unfortunately, it was just before 1pm before i got on the road. the only thing i had eaten all day was a butterfinger santa clause. i was hoping not having much on my stomach woeld help with the upset stomach i get from eating the energy chews i use. however, just before mile 10 (i ate some chews at mile 5 and was going to eat some more at mile 10) my stomach was telling me it was hungry. i wish i had eaten a little more. on the positive side, i took 5 chews at mile 5 and 5 more at mile 10 and never got an upset stomach, that is a huge plus. i took 20oz of gatorade and 10oz of water with me. i never got thirsty enough to drink the gatorade, and i only drank the water with the chews.i think not having the sugar from the gatorade on my stomach also helped me to not have any stomach aches after the chews. my left knee hurt for most of the run after mile 5, it was just a dull pain i was able to run through. my right calf really started hurting around mile 8 for the remainder of the run, i was able to run through that as well. overall, i felt pretty good for the run until 13.5 miles when i fizzled a little. my time for the run was 2:33.44, a pace of 10.59min/mile overall. that is pretty good, i was trying to run at an 11min/mile pace. when i stopped running, my left knee felt like it locked up. it is still sore about 5 hours after the run, my right calf is still a little tight as well. luckily, i am starting my taper for the next marathon so hopefully that will help with the knee and calf.

i really have no thoughts for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment