Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Longest Ever

i did it. i ran 18 miles yesterday, non-stop. there were several things i think allowed me to do this. one, was that i had carb loaded better in the previous week than i had for all my other long runs. two, it was cloudy and cool. three, i started out at a pace that i thought would not wear me out towards the end. my pace varied a little here and there but up until mile 16.5 i was just under 11min miles, the pace i wanted to start and finish at. my first mile or two was a little under that pace. then i was right at the pace. at mile 5 my phone fell out of my pocket and it slowed me down a little to pick it up, put the headphones back in, put it back in the pocket, realize it wasn't working, then get it working, and get back on pace. the 1/2 mile from mile 5 to 5.5 was 40 seconds slower than previous and next 1/2 mile. at mile 16 i was feeling great and my pace had actually picked up a little. by mile 17 i was starting to feel the mileage. i finished in 199:05.

after the run, i drank 2 bottles of grape juice, 1.5 cups of orange juice, took a shower and forced myself to eat a little. i ate 4-5 bites of spaghetti and then fell asleep. i woke up, drank a little more and finished my spaghetti. i still didn't feel quite normal until this afternoon. i feel pretty good now.

so, i did it, and i finally feel like i survived, the longest run of my life.

thought of the day: why is it hard to explain to people that if a=b and b=c that a=c? or that if you want to get to a point and you know where you are now, if your route does not go to the point you want to reach, you can't get there. it's elementary my dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment