Monday, October 18, 2010

Lucky 16 miles

yes, lucky, lucky to have finished and lucky to be alive afterwards. when i started it was warm (between 75 and 80 degrees) and very sunny. i thought the sun may take its toll. along with the fact that i started out faster than i planned. i wanted to keep my pace around 11 minute miles. however, i started out at 10 minute miles. doesn't sound like a big deal, but after 16 miles, it is a big deal. at mile 2 i could feel my body getting too hot, not much i could do about it, except run until it got cool. i did, and then i got cold. no happy medium. i ran 4.5 miles away from the house, then came back, switched out my water bottles, and then headed out to finish the last 7 miles. it took me about 2 minutes to switch water bottles and drink what was left in one of the bottles i was leaving behind then get back on the road. i was not feeling very good at mile 11, but i pushed on. at mile 14 i decided i would take a very short walk break, i got a drink and tried to take my last gu gel. i had to spit 1/2 of it out because i was afraid i was going to vomit it back up. then i started running again. at mile 15.5 i took another short walk break because my side was hurting. i finally finished at my house and got to feeling a little sick when i was stretching. then i got a chill and hopped in the shower to warm up. i had to put on some flannel pants and a long sleeved shirt and get under the covers. i then slept until this morning got up and went to work for a little and didn't feel real good until after i took a short nap after i got back home.

my time for this 16 miles was 17 minutes faster than my last 16 miles. i was happy about that, however, i did not feel near as bad after my last 16 miles. my final times was 3:07.02. my legs are a little sore now, no more than expected.

thought of the day: running long distances is pretty hard for me. i am a short, pudgy, slow little turtle. last night i had to suck back into my shell for a little while. maybe i can make it back out tomorrow for a short little run.

No comments:

Post a Comment