Sunday, July 19, 2009

Getting Back in the Groove

Well, today was quite uneventful. I went to church then went to Emily's parents' house for lunch, overate, shot my bow 44 times, came home, took a nap, watched tv, and now i am here. I still can't figure out why i am so tired these days, i think it is because i am letting my body tell my mind i am tired. i just feel like i could sleep all the time. i think it may be that i have been taking 2 allergy pills instead of 1 (like the prescription says). 1 just doesn't do anything for me. anyway, maybe i caught up on rest today and can get back into working out. seems like i am in a little slump. i have been running regularly, but anything else, like upper body work has been so hard to do. tomorrow starts a new week on my training calendar so i will make every effort to get pumped about shooting my bow, doing upper body, and maybe riding my bike or walking on the days i don't run. i worry that just training for the marathon might not get me in good enough shape to carry my pack but i think it will get me where i need to be. at least i am doing something, and running for distance has to be as good as walking with my pack on my back for 30min to an hour. i was walking hills with it some and jumping rope a lot, but i think running will suffice.

tomorrow is my day off and i have a 3 mile run on the schedule. the rest of the week looks like rain, hope it doesn't mess the schedule up.

Following is a quote from Cameron Hanes :

"Truthfully, I run out of my comfort zone (an ultramarathon in the mountains will definitely get you out of your CZ) to not only build confidence but also to increase my ability to suffer. I want to hurt. I want to hurt in training because I know I will hurt during the hunt... Bowhunting is a test and so is running. How much pain and suffering will you go through for success? On most my hunts this is what has probably made the biggest difference…the ability to suffer more."

I think this is one reason i accepted the challenge (which was probably mostly a joke) from my cousin to run in a marathon. I knew that it would get me in pretty good physical condition for my upcoming hunt. But more than that i knew it would get me in much better mental condition for being out in the breaks of the missouri river, sleeping in a bivy sack, and trying to harvest a mature elk. this trip can be as easy as i want it to be or it can be as hard as i want it to be. i can stay in a hotel every night and drive to my spot in the morning and not get back far in the forest so i can get to the truck before dark to get back to the hotel. or i can hike 2-10 miles everyday, until i find elk and stay with them until i finish the job, staying out for up to 5 days at a time. personally, i do not want to have another fun, easy trip. i want to have a hard, exciting trip, where i know i have done everything possible, given myself every chance, to be successful. i want to get to the spot that is farthest from anyone, back where the elk have never seen a person. not just to hunt undisturbed elk (but that would be a huge bonus) but to be able to say i have been where others would not put in the effort to get to. call me crazy, just always been a dream of mine, and the marathon training will help me get there (guess i had better try and stay off the couch).

No comments:

Post a Comment